Thursday, November 30, 2006


I woke up yesterday morning so tired that I could barely make it to the bathroom, where I did something that I have rarely done in my adult life: I peed and then went back to bed.

I wasn't particularly sick (as in I didn't feel like I was dying, just so very tired) although my sore throat and headache gave me a nice enough excuse to call in sick. I spent the entire day sleeping. Zac slept in until 9am and I took him to daycare at 10am or so and then climbed back into bed. Around 1pm, I walked downstairs, had some lunch, and then promptly fell back asleep on the couch until 5:30pm.

It's hard for me, with my Puritan work ethic and shame-based personality, to admit that I took the whole day for myself and did nothing other than sleep. It was even harder to justify my decision to Mr. Tugboat, who kept saying, "Are you sure your alright? You've just been sleeping?" He defines himself as a "worker bee": someone that always has a project, always going, and always gets up before 7am. I describe that as "hell on Earth". It's not that I'm lazy, just selective on how I exert myself, which wouldn't ever happen before 9am if I didn't have a small child.

All I can say is that my body must have needed, or really, really wanted, to sleep. I even went to the drugstore to get a certain test to see if I had a certain little thing inside me (I don't) because the last time I was this tired I was gestating.

My fatigue is occuring at a time when every day I marvel at Zac's emotional and physical development. The other day I realized that he has started coming home in the same shirt and pants that he left for daycare in. Either the daycare teacher started getting better with the her bib usage or Zac got more coordinated at eating - either way, I love it. I no longer have to wash four or five loads of strictly toddler clothing a week. He has started to go to bed without as much crying and wailing and he can give hugs and blow kisses. He's great. Really, just great.

I might be great if I wasn't considering hiding under my desk at work to take a nap. Wake me up when it's time to go home.


Dee said...

Perhaps your body just really needed to catch up on some sleep. I hope you are feeling better today!

I'm working at home today due to the ice and forcasted snow and was still up by 7:00 this morning. So of course Zach slept in until 9:15. I wish I would have taken advantage of that.

Anonymous said...

I bet you breathed a huge sigh of relief with one of those little sticks, huh? LOL

Hope you get to feeling up and at 'em soon NSPIT.


jenna said...

awesome!! good for you!!

(my goodness, how many mothers-of-zac(h)s do we have no here? - cool!)

karrie said...

Sounds great to me!! I'm envious that your son slept until 9--wow!

When I was a single, worker bee I routinely took one Sunday every month to catch up on sleep. I did pretty much what you described, and it was wonderful. Sometimes bodies need chocolate, sometimes they need to run 10 miles and sometimes they need to binge on sleep.

You probably prevented the onset of a cold or some other crud by listening to your body.