Wednesday, October 04, 2006

10/04-2

I wanted to say thank you to everyone that consistently gives me love and support, both on and off this blog. It means a lot and it helps me say, almost on a daily basis, "No. I don't deserve that. I deserve more," which isn't easy for a people-pleaser like myself.

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to make people happy. If members of my family were fighting, I wanted them to talk it out - I would be the go-between if I wasn't the direct cause or source of the anger. I'll avoid head-on confrontation with most people and absolutely run from anything that I deem 'threatening' or even vaguely annoying (like going to the dentist).

I think I even followed the career path that I have so I could make people happy, which makes me happy, or at least content most days. Being in non-profits is like saying to someone, "I know that what I have is a little more than I can reasonably be thankful for. Here - have some of mine, some of me, I'll give it to you because I think you deserve more than you currently have." And you do that day after day because making people happier, healthier, safer, richer, and less discriminated against is what the non-profit world is about.

It's hard for me to turn that off when it comes to romantic relationships. Someone said to me recently, "I deserve for you to come closer to me. I deserve to touch your stomach (the stomach that held the baby. The stomach that will never be the same. The stomach that I don't let ANYONE touch because it's too personal and sensitive)." I answered, "No, you don't deserve that." Then he said, "I, then, at least deserve a kiss," and I said, "No, you don't deserve that either."

While he left he threw back a parting insult in my general direction: "You don't need to ask me to go. I'd rather go on my own accord than deal with an asshole like you. Now I know why all the other guys ran too."

All because I have my own definition of what someone "deserves" to do with my body. According to my definition, you deserve to respect, cherish, and be patient with my body and the person attached to it because in return, I will love you wholly and unconditionally.

Until then, get the fuck off me, and you can thank everyone that reads this blog for the confidence to say that.

11 comments:

wildflower said...

I am so so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Really, really good for YOU.

jenna said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

"Now I know why all the other guys ran too."

I can't believe someone was so nasty to you. I am pissed off. Don't let that person's own negativity poison you. You don't have a stampede of frightened men running away from you. You're not an asshole. Let go of those words. They're not true.

xoxox
-P
p.s. good for you!

Anonymous said...

You are right. You deserve much better than that.

And the stomach thing? I totally get it. I feel the same way. My stomach is different now, not just because of the physical scars of bearing a child, but because there is somehow an emotional attachment now also. It is more intimate and personal. My husband doesn't understand at all why I don't like for him to touch it sometimes. I thought I was a little weird for that, but it is nice to hear someone else mention it.

Anonymous said...

I second what everyone else has said...GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you, good job for standing up for yourself!

g-starr said...

all that guy REALLY deserves is you and your entire cyber-network despising him!

well done you :)

g

BlondeBrony said...

"No. I don't deserve that. I deserve more," which isn't easy for a people-pleaser like myself. What a great thing to learn how to say. I am slowly starting to learn that as well.

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to make people happy. – boy can I relate to that.

I think I even followed the career path that I have so I could make people happy, which makes me happy, or at least content most days. – did that too.

According to my definition, you deserve to respect, cherish, and be patient with my body and the person attached to it because in return, I will love you wholly and unconditionally. – Wow, very nicely said. I’m proud of you!!!

ipj said...

I congratulate you and wish I had your determination and principles. I pretty much have none. Which, afterwards, translates into lots of showers with much scrubbing.

ipj said...

He deserved your boot up his ass.