Wednesday, March 22, 2006

3/22

Isn't it amazing how everyone in my family gets sick at the same time? Really, someone should do scientific experiments on the genetic makeup of a family that can feeeeel each other get sick, and the feeling actually causes them to get sick.

My sister is sick. My Mom is sick. My child is sick. I am sick. We are all sick together.

The 'rents got home Monday morning from their vacation. It took them 30 years to go on an "official" vacation together and my Mom was sick the whole time and two out of the five Hawaiian islands were flooded out. They even closed Pearl Harbor. I can just imagine my dropping, sopping wet parents standing outside the exhibit at Pearl Harbor, tickets in hand, yelling at the Polynesian guy: "What do you mean the whole harbor is closed?!? It's just a little rain, for Pete's sake! We waited thirty years to get here and I am not going back without seeing this memorial." Then my Mom would start coughing and they would have to leave, wet socks and all.

You can almost guarantee that any major event in a family members' life will be accompanied by a trip to the hospital by another member of the same family. As I said earlier, someone should do experiments on us. We are really amazing. This time, as my parents went off for the "I feel so broke, I want to go home" Beach Boys cruise, Zac went to the ER, followed by a doctor's visit a mere 10 days later. He started out with a runny nose and cough. Then the sneezing started. If you are looking for entertainment, watch an infant sneeze a runny, green booger and then not be able to figure out how to wipe his nose. He just kept licking up the boogers that ran into his mouth and shaking his head, kind of like Hooch shaking off his saliva in the movie, Turner and Hooch. It's all fun and games until you get hit in the head with a stringy booger. Then he started pulling on his ears and the howling all night shortly followed.

Yup, you guessed it. Double ear infection. Next stop, Ear-Nose-and-Throat Doctor for tubes. If it makes him feel better, I'm all for it at this point. There is just no rationalizing with a screaming baby, especially when you can't bribe his with icecream, boobies, or video games. Nothing. He is just miserable. Me being deathly ill didn't help.

Did I mention that between Zac and me, I have no more sick time left? I had to use my Employee of the Month day to take Zac to the Doctor and crawl back into bed with a cold sweat. I'm back at work today, holding on, barely.

2 comments:

jenna said...

sending you good health vibes!!!!

mynewshoes said...

I say more vitamins and more hand- washing for everyone!

Take care of yourself,
L