Thursday, August 18, 2005

8-18

Another very stressful day. Zac and I woke up in the recliner around 8:15am because my stupid alarm didn't go off. I had to leave the house to get to work on time by 8:25am. You can probably imagine what it's like getting a newborn ready, dressed, and fed in ten minutes. Now add on to that trying to get yourself ready, dressed, and fed in that same ten minutes. Crying chaos is how I would describe it.

By the time I got to work, only ten minutes late even though I had passed a three car accident on the way, Zac was crying again, this time because he was hungry. I could feel my heart swell and my eyes tear up as I listened to him cry for fifteen minutes in the backseat of my Mom's Saturn. I was on the freeway - late - I couldn't pull over, whip out the boob and start to feed him. Yet the Mom in me shouted, "Your child is hungry. FEED HIM!!!!" I had never felt so torn before. He calmed down a bit once traffic started moving again.

By the time that I met up with Melissa he was pouting and angry at both of us in his, "I'm not going to open my eyes to look at you, but I want a bottle or nipple in my mouth immediately," kind of way. She fed him a bottle while I rushed upstairs for a 9:30am conference call. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George and Jerry both date the same woman because they figure that two men are better than one. One of them would go on the date and then the other one would leave the nice phone message, etc. Today felt like I was tag-team parenting. Melissa and I had this conversation on my way into work: "OK, meet me downstairs in ten minutes with warm water. I'll bring the bottle, formula, and baby. Then we'll switch items and you'll remind me to tuck in my shirt and wipe the baby spit off me. Ready. GO"

It's good to have friends.

No comments: